Beniarbeig is a municipality of the old marquesado of Dénia and of the current region of the Marina Alta. It occupies a territory almost flat of 7.40 square kilometers, full of alluvial materials of the quaternary era. Although the municipality has an average altitude of 42 meters above sea level, it is rugged in the northern sector by the foothills of the Sierra de Segaria (508 meters high), and in the south by the Rafalet hill. It limits to the north with Benimeli, Ondara and the Verger; To the east, with Ondara and Pedreguer; To the south with Pedreguer and Benidoleig, and to the west with Sanet and Negrals. It has 1,883 inhabitants, called beniarbegins. Apart from a few ravines and minor rambles, the only river course of some importance that crosses the term is the Girona river, which led to a historic overflow on 12 October 2007. Water flooded a part of the population and destroyed the bridge that communicated For a hundred years the urban nucleus split by the same río.La moscatel vineyard to elaborate passes dominated the landscape until the early years of the twentieth century, when it was razed by phylloxera. At present, Beniarbeig’s economy is based on irrigated agriculture, through the exploitation of wells and cellars that take advantage of a rich underground aquifer, mainly for the cultivation of orange and mandarin (300 hectares). On the other hand, rainfed crops, such as almond, carob and oil (150 hectares), which are arranged in amargarades terraces on the Solana de Segaria, are not so important. Recently, income from the agrarian sector has been complemented by those derived from a remarkable urbanization process of the surrounding hills, such as the Corona and the Mirambons. In addition, the municipality has an industrial estate, located on the Ondara road in Orba.
There is evidence of a first paleolithic human habitat in the cave of Bolumini and an Iberian settlement in the Passet, on the southern slope of Segària; Also of Roman remains in the departure of the Islets. In the Muslim period Beniarbeig had the status of simple farmhouse. Later, he joined the Western world in the hand of King Jaime I between 1244 and 1245. Chabás documents Beniarbeig in 1249 and Camarena documents Beniharbex in 1402. According to Carmen Barceló, it comes from bani ‘arbaj. In 1385 the place belonged to Gonçal Castellví; In 1402 he assumed the lord Pere Martorell, a man of confidence of the Duke of Gandía, and later passed to Pallàs, Counts of Sinarcas and viscounts of Chelva, through the mother, Leonor Ponce. In 1535 his parish was dismembered from that of Denia, and a rectory was set up for the Moors forced to convert to Christianity a few years earlier during the War of the Germanies. In 1609 the 82 Moorish families that inhabited it – including the inhabitants of the farms of Beniomer and Benicadim, with a dozen of houses each, that were inhabited until 1643, when it was definitively demoted and added the A particular term of Beniarbeig, and was reoccupied by people of the region, with some Balearic contribution (surnames such as Boronat, Muelle or Llull). In the eighteenth century, Beniarbeig belongs to the Marquesa de Amayuelas and Countess of Peñaflor, with whom the Duke of Medinaceli and Marquis of Denia litigated in 1766 for the possession of rights to Segària; Beniarbeig also received the third tithe of Beniarbeig and solved the criminal affairs of the population.
Of the main buildings stand out the old town hall, the old schools, the parochial church of San Juan Bautista (eighteenth century) and the house of Santonja. The celebrations are celebrated the last week of August, in honor to San Juan and in San Roque.
Text of the file Toponymy of the towns, author Robert Miralles